Wednesday, December 21, 2005

4 Sleeps til Santa

Only 4 more "sleeps" and it'll be Christmas morning. 4 more times of getting the kids into their Christmas pajamas, tucking them in and then peering over the little cherubs as they sleep.

Sunday morning they will awaken and head down the stairs to see a large array of gifts that Santa has brought.

I'm excited. Very much looking forward to Christmas more and more each year as the kids get a little older. I know my time will be limited, as they will grow up and eventually catch on to the whole Santa thing.

My boss and I discussed Santa, and whether or not her 10 year old twins (turning 11 in February) still believe. They haven't said they don't - but she's still *not sure*. Her 14 year old daughter hasn't believed since she was in the 3rd grade, but has been exceptionally good at NOT giving away the secret, even during the ugliest of family battles (which are very common during these early teen years it seems).

My neice is 10 years old as well, and as far as I know, she still believes. She hasn't told my sister otherwise at least.

Which it got me thinking - when did I stop believing? Honestly, I really don't know. There wasn't some life altering moment where the world stopped turning and I said "You've got to be f-ing kidding me; there isn't a Santa Claus?!?" ..... no, in fact, once I knew, I even asked my parents to continue to wait until Christmas Eve to put all my presents under the tree.

It's just a glorious illusion - it's almost hard to give it up. There is something so innocent about believing in Santa, and something so special and endearing about the whole thing. I don't think I can quite put it into words ....

I wish I still believed. But, I do have to admit, that I do like being on the other side for once, getting to be Santa myself.

No comments: