Saturday, October 20, 2007

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives

Fall is officially here, and Christmas is quickly approaching. This time of year always amazes me because it goes by so fast. Before we know it, we'll be putting out milk and cookies for Santa and then we'll be ringing in 2008.

How is it possible that we're almost in the year 2008? Twenty oh-eight. Wow. 2008; I'll turn 28, and be 10 years out of high school. In 2008 my children will turn 4 and 7. And I'll celebrate my 10 year anniversary with my company.

Everyone warned me that if I thought time went fast before, to just wait until I had kids. Boy they weren't kidding. Since my first was born nearly 6 years ago, time has flashed by.

My first born is in kindergarten, starting his school "career" and my youngest is taking ballet classes, excited to start preschool next fall. I'm amazed at how quickly we went from diaper changes and middle of the night feedings to real underwear and homework. Sometimes I miss the days of wrinkled baby skin and gummy grins, but I more so look forward to what they'll learn and what they will become.

I don't want to rush time by any means, but I look forward to them gaining even more independence, being confident in themselves, finding their niche and doing what they love. We've hit so many monumental firsts, but there are still so many more to come. No matter how old they are, there's always some other first to wait for. First loose tooth (and first visit from the tooth fairy!), first day of school (at least for my daughter), first date, first real friendship drama, first day with their driver's license, first school dance......to eventually marriage and the first child (me, a grandma! -- now that's looking WAAAAAY into the future!!!).

Every day brings something new, every day we get closer to the next day, and before I know it, these kids are going to be all grown up.

No comments: