Monday, October 01, 2007

Cubby Blue, Baby!

2007 National League Central Division Champs! You got it, baby ... the Cubs are in the playoffs!

I'm excited and hopeful and scared .... and well, if you're a fellow Cubs fan, you too probably know these emotions very well.

We had a chance at the series back in 2003 .... I remember this season distinctly. It was going so well, we just had to make it to the Series and then, just as quickly, it turned and we lost.

The dreaded curse, and Bartman, and a goat and blah blah blah. I remember about a year later, Mike and I were watching a documentary about that season. I couldn't watch...it was like pouring salt into an open wound. All the pain was quickly returning, I was angry and depressed, so I had to stop watching.

I've already teared up twice now; once was during the game a couple weeks ago where they came back in the 9th inning to win the game. It was a huge win for them, and the players were so excited -- I teared up and said to Mike that if they make the Series, I'll cry for sure.

Then last night in the car by myself, a song is on the radio about wanting something and going after it, and all that -- I find myself with tears in my eyes again, thinking about how it's speaking about the Cubs.

I know, pathetic to get emotional about a baseball game - but this is MY team. A team that my family has loved and supported for years, a team I have grown to adore. And while the team has changed -- players have come and gone -- I still bleed Cubby blue and my heart aches as we say "Next Year".

I pray that THIS year is the Next Year we've been speaking about. 2007, baby....this is it!

No comments: