Sunday, January 08, 2006

Pet Peeve

People that are currently enrolled to receive state/government aid (such as WIC, food stamps, housing programs, etc) and continue to abuse the system.

Whether it those that get a little extra money and instead of using it to pay for necessities - like food, doctor bills, laundry detergent, etc - they go and blow it on frivolous things like brand new wedding rings.

Or, those that already have children, yet continue to get pregnant so that they receive more help/money/vouchers from the state/government programs.

And it continues to amaze me that these people do not understand that, in reality, the people providing the money to fund these programs are us - the working people in America.

When speaking to someone about this (a SAHM nonetheless) - she had the audacity to actually ask me "why it mattered that taxes were taken out of each paycheck; that at the end of the year, people got refunds and it was normally MORE than we paid in." HA! It amazes me at how naive people can be, but yet how intelligent they are to figure out ways around the system to better themselves without having to work a day in their lives.

And the person that made the comment - she is living in a home that was built for her and her family (husband and 2 kids) while she was pregnant with their 2nd child. They had to put in so many hours for the house -- but that was it. When her husband got a "bonus" at work, they put the money towards brand new wedding rings. And - they are talking about getting pregnant with #3.

Quite frankly, it makes me sick.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Bryan, perhaps you should ask your wife to be HONEST with you.

First things first -- the house we had built .... yeah, we pay 70% of the mortgage while my parents pick up the other 30%. Yes, THEY LIVE THERE, TOO. Did Dana tell you that? They did not PAY for me to have a house built. They have lived in apartment for 27 years - and my husband and I decided - they are not getting any younger, and instead of letting them waste away in roach infested apartment building, that we would make sacrifices and LIVE WITH THEM. No one GAVE me anything to have a house built. Groceries? The bill is split when my mother and I go out together each week and do the shopping. Same with the gas bill, electric and cable bill. Phones are paid separately, and as always, we pay for ours as well as their cell phones because it was our idea for them to have cell phones in the first place.

So - before you go and make assumptions -- maybe you should get all the facts.

Abandoning my children while I sit in an office?? I work BECAUSE I NEED TO. Because I WILL NOT quit my job so that I can mooch off the system. I work because I have bills to pay, and kids to clothe and feed. Just because I had a family doesn't mean I have the right to be a SAHM and take money or charity. I had a family because I wanted one, and because I'm adult enough to work for a living and PROVIDE for my family MYSELF; Not asking the state, the government - or ANYONE ELSE for any sort of help.

And for the record -- you might want to look really deep into your relationship. Has Dana told you about the man she met online?? And the conversation she had with - not one - but TWO people on the mailing list?? Probably not. And if she did, she wasn't honest.

Just as it's clear that she isn't honest, or doesn't tell the full story of things. Perhaps if she didn't "glamorize" or make things out to be what they aren't -- then people wouldn't be gathering these "assumptions" of her.

She dug her own grave. I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'm just the only one that had the guts to speak about it.

1112223334445 said...

Sarah, while your frustration is well founded when this is the case, such programs do far more good than harm. This issue has been over-politicized in order to pull away such meager safety nets from people who lose their jobs due to changes in the economy, outsourcing, and other such realities of a modern economy in an advanced industrialized nation.