Friday, September 23, 2005

A J-O-B

Just a few days ago, the first check from unemployment arrived. Today, Mike got a call and was offered a job. This is great news, as it's been nearly a month since he's been out of work.

But, I have mixed emotions about it. You see, the position is as an assistant manager (actually, a position lower than he was holding when he worked for LaVazza/Premium Espresso). BUT -- even so -- it pays $8,000 more a year. Health insurance after 90 days, 401k, etc.

So, it sounds great, right? Well, yes, on the money aspect of it all. But, it's the food service business. A restaurant. Chances are they close at 10-11pm. It's going to keep him away from the family alot more than I'd like.

But what can I do? We NEED him to work. We can't live on just my income. And alot of the other jobs he interviewed for were much less than we'd be able to work with.

I'm so torn. Part of me is happy that he'll be working, and we'll have a steady second income coming in again. But the other part of me is screaming "NOOOOOOO, NOT AGAIN!!!!!"

I really don't know ...... I want to cry. I feel sick over it. I do not want him to be away from us for 50 + hours a week.

Really, I guess I'm being a bit silly because we don't know what the hours would be as of now - and perhaps Baker's Square operates NOTHING like Sbarro did working their employees 12 hours a day. Maybe they have enough managers and assistant managers that they can work "normal" 8 hour shifts. Then again, part of me is saying, "Don't be naive. It's the restaurant business!! Long hours are a GIVEN!"

I just don't think I can handle him working ALL WEEKEND long like he did at Sbarro.

I wish I could hand over all these worries and make them go away. Or give me the answers so that I don't even need to worry.

1 comment:

Mackey said...

Spammers...grrrrr!!!!!!!!!
So sorry to hear you sounding so torn. Take one step at a time. If the job keeps him away from home too long then he canalways keep his ears open for another job while he has this one. It is easier to be pickier when you are already working.
May I offer a little piece of advice......although I am not the most avid church goer(I haven't been since early July) so maybe I have no place to be giving advice especially re" the Lord, but hon, say a little prayer. There is no purpose to worrying. God has the plan. He will take care of all of you.