Friday, September 02, 2005

Heartbreaking

Because of the move, I hadn't watched tv in a week. I was starting to feel very disconnected from the world. Even though I don't watch much tv in the first place - not having it to catch a few minutes of news coverage or whatnot made me feel lost.

I had heard about Katrina, but thought it was just a tropical storm - nothing to write home about. And being in the midwest, the most we may see from the hurricanes and tropical storms are some rain showers. So, on Monday I started hearing more and more on the radio - and I felt like I was trapped in a bubble and could not get the rest of the information.

Then an online friend (originally from Louisiana, now stationed in Nevada) posted that her some of her husband's family was missing. 6 relatives were missing. Finally, 5 of them were located yesterday. The 6th was located today. All are safe. They've lost everything - but all of them have their lives.

It was around the time of her post - and the more I was hearing on the radio (the news that 80% of New Orleans was underwater - some areas as deep as 20 feet had me the most curious) - that I was wondering what on earth was going on down there. Then I started checking online news stories, the NOLA website ..... it was then that I realized just how horrible the situation was.

And it seems that the more I read and the more pictures I see now, the more horrible it truly is. So many people without homes. Without clothes. Some without their loved ones. So many people with NOTHING left and nothing to return to. Everything just gone.

Hurricane Katrina showed no mercy on them. From my understanding 3 states were hit the worst, and Mississippi's death toll is already nearing 150 (the last time I checked). And New Orlean's mayor was estimating hundreds - most likely THOUSANDS - dead. It's so sad. So, so, so sad.

While it's not effecting me as much as 9/11 did - I'm still feeling helpless and upset. I still want to cry for those people and wish I was closer to lend a helping hand.

I did do something. Maybe it's not alot - but it still felt good. Another online friend lives right outside of Houston. Since many of the refugees were sent to the Astrodome, there are some collections being taken at churches and such. She mentioned that she had taken some boxes of things over, and that these volunteers sort through the boxes and are immediately handing these things out. So late last night, I packed up a box of women's shirts, a few baby outfits, a baby blanket, some washcloths, cotton balls, plastic bowls, bars of soap, sheets, plastic spoons/forks/knives and some toddler "graduate" meals and I shipped it off to my friend today. Once she gets it, she'll take it over and instantly the items I donated will be going to a victim.

My heart goes out to those affected & my prayers are with them all.

1 comment:

Mackey said...

Uh oh, looks like you have been spammed Sarah! I seen you were visiting me on my blog....I haven't been to yours in quite awhile. You have changed some things, I like what you have done with the place:)