Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Some things I'll never understand

Yesterday my coworker spoke to me, and told me about an awful situation her friend was going through. I've met the friend, and because this blog can be read by anyone, I am going to refrain from using real names here to protect their real identities.

My coworker's friend, Margie, just had a baby a couple of weeks ago. The baby was early due to some complications that arose from Margie being full-blown diabetic. In turn, the baby spent some time in the NICU, and was released just recently.

On Monday, Margie's fiance (father of the baby), Brent, left the home they were staying in (they are having construction done on their other home, and something happened to the main power line, so they were without power there) around 11AM. He kissed her on the forehead, told her he loved her, and was going to their home to take care of some things. Around 1PM, she realized he should have been home to get ready for work. She tried calling him, but his cell phone was turned off.

In the meantime, a friend came by, passing their home, and told Margie that Brent's car was not there, and didn't appear that anyone had been there at all. Margie was starting to worry, but knew that at 4PM, she could call his work and check in there. When she called, they let her know that he had not shown up.

She called the police, and they told her there was nothing much they could do since he's an adult, and had not been missing for 24 hours (at this point he was only gone about 5 hours). But they asked if there are any firearms in the house. She said yes, and checked - to find the gun missing. They put out an alert immediately, and asked if she had checked her bank account to see if there was missing money. Nothing missing, but instead, a very large deposit had been made.

Today, Wednesday, Brent was found dead by a farmer in Wisconsin. He shot himself in the head.

I guess I never quite could understand suicide, and while I understand that there are mental illnesses - I can't quite get past one word -- selfish.

It's clear that he was suffering from some illness, as a note shows he has been planning to do this for months. I just don't understand why he didn't seek the help.

Instead now, there is a woman who cares about him and a newborn daughter, who get to deal with such tragedy. It makes me ill.

4 comments:

Mackey said...

My Lord, that is horrible.
The poor woman....having to deal with the newborn & the suicide of her husband.
Tragic.

Jess said...

What an awful thing to have to deal with. I will keep the family in my prayers.

Dana, proud mommy of 3 said...

That's is just awful! It is very selfish for someone to have to leave that for people they "love" to deal with. Poor lady! I never understood suicde either.....that's just so sad...

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

That is so sad, and yes so very selfish.... that truly breaks my heart for that little girl never getting to know her daddy.