Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Dressing for Death

So, I'm looking in my closest and realizing that I don't really have a whole lot of funeral/wake/services appropriate clothes. At this point, I almost feel like I need to go invest in a few items of clothing to specifically wear for times such as this.

Since September of 2004, I've been to 3 services for family members that have passed on. This will be #4 in just 25 months.

I'm already beginning to dislike getting older. I can imagine some of my readers, rolling their eyes, grumbling "She's not even 30 yet!!".

And that's right. I'm in my mid-late 20's, but have already lost all of my grandparents. My husband is now on the verge of losing a parent. On my dad's side of the family - he, his siblings & cousins are now the oldest in the family.

As I was reading the obituary for Mike's grandfather, I browsed through all the others, noting the ages of the deceased. So many were in their 80's, many in their 90's as well. Our families only seem to make it til their 70's max. My paternal grandparents died in their 60's.

I was 11 when they died. And at that age, they seemed old to me. Now, looking back ..... my folks aren't far off from turning 60. And they just don't seem as old to me as my grandparents did back then.

Why do I feel that soon I won't have much of a family left? The numbers are decreasing and generations are disappearing.

It's all very, very, very depressing.

And with that, I must go finalize my clothing plans for the services tomorrow evening.

No comments: