Saturday, November 19, 2005

I'm really beginning to hate weekends

You would think that after working 5 straight days, I'd enjoy having the weekend off. And - while I do enjoy not having to get up and go in to work, and I can enjoy my children and my home -- at the same time - I HATE weekends.

With the business Mike is in, he works all weekend. Gone most of Saturday and Sunday. His hours this weekend are both 9am-7pm on Sat and Sun. He got home at 8pm last night. Okay - so it's better than midnight - but it's still AFTER we've already eaten dinner as a family, and it's too late to go and do anything. It sucks. Even if he was to open the store - he doesn't get off til 4. At least then we have dinner as a family, but doesn't leave much time for family activities. He has to work Thanksgiving, too. 7am-close. They close at 3pm. General closing takes about an hour. Meaning 4pm he'll actually get out of there. The commute to my brother and SIL's house .... probably a good 40 minutes. So - it'll be nearly 5pm by the time he joins the festivities. I think we're eating at 2. So he doesn't even get a hot, fresh Thanksgiving meal. And we don't get to eat with him. :sigh:

So anyway - here is Saturday. We have pictures tonight at 5:30. The kids and the twins having Christmas pictures taken together. I figured I'd spend the day in to try to get the kids to rest and relax so that they could be in good spirits later. My mom and dad take off - to go do their own thing. Which okay .... understandable. They deal with the grandkids all week long. But, I'm feeling abandoned. And I have Christmas shopping to do and can't do a bit of it because I have the kids. I can't necessarily shop when I have them with me, curious eyeballs peering into the cart.

Which brings to me to another thing -- I don't have a single thing for Braeden for Christmas. I went through everything I've bought so far for everyone, and made a list. Both kids are getting more winter clothes, and loads of summer clothes. I have quite a few things for Kaelynn, including the things the 'big jolly man' will bring her. Several toys. The only thing NON-clothing we have for Braeden is a couple packages of Hotwheels/Matchbox cars, some Spiderman notebooks to doodle in, and a Spiderman & Friends action hero. How on Earth can I only have that?? Normally by this time I'm finished with my kids.

I guess it's because I refused to buy things - knowing that they already have a TON of toys and they will probably get more from family. But I can't just give him clothes. There are things I put on his Christmas wishlist that I could buy. But, I wanted plenty of options for family. :sigh: I guess I'll start browsing on amazon or something to get some ideas. There is a Batman batcave play set I've seen. Maybe I can snag that at a good deal. He'd LOVE that.

Now if only I could get to the stores so I could do some power shopping, I'd be all set. At this rate, I'll never get my Christmas shopping done.

3 comments:

Mackey said...

I have found it so easy to buy for my daughter who is 4, but incredibly hard for my son who is 10(going on 15)! I miss the days where he loved his action figures & hot wheel race sets!:P

Sarah said...

Mackeydoodle -- :) your comment makes me wonder ... maybe it's just TEN year olds in general that are hard to buy for? My neice is 10, and I'm having the HARDEST time buying things for her. It's like this is the "limbo" age or something. All I have for her is a Nintendog game, and a few tops/shorts for next summer. I'm at a total loss!

Mackey said...

It's that "tween" stage. Aargghh!