Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas is just around the corner

Where did December go? 2006 will be coming to an end in just 11 short days.

I've been keeping busy, and have nearly finished everything that needed to be done, and I've still got hair (which I just had done again to color my outgrowth, and add some more highlights to)!!!! By Saturday night, everything should be done completely and I'll be ready for the festivities.

The food is all bought, the cookies all baked (all 17 varities and total of 1053 of them), and almost all the gifts wrapped (just a few more to do). Braeden had his last day of school today, and his class put on their Christmas program. It was *adorable*.....and I got teary-eyed, too. I didn't realize giving birth would make me so damn sappy.

This weekend will be the last for the fundraiser. Last I knew, I think we were up to $1500 or more. Not too shabby. Saturday (our last night) should be a busy one. We've got Santa coming in on the firetruck again, which the kids that won the raffle for the ride with Santa, and then we'll be drawing all the winners of the raffles, and Santa will be leaving again on the firetruck. It's really been an experience doing this. It's great to be doing something good, for the benefit of our community, with friends. This really has been a great Christmas season in that respect.

I'm afraid, though, that I don't have all good news to report. On Saturday we received the awful news that Mike's mom (dying of cancer), fell and broke her neck. She's currently being kept sedated and in a neck brace. She is not a candidate for surgery, as she would never survive the anesthesia. They have decided to have her chart marked as "DNR", because she only weighs 78 lbs and they are afraid if she were to code, and they needed to perform CPR, that they'd break her ribs, puncture her lungs and possibly paralyze her and leave her in a vegetative state.

I'm not a very religious person, but I've always believed. Now I find myself angry at God. I watched my Grams dying, suffering day after day until He finally took her Home. I yelled and cried - asking Him why he just didn't take her and stop the suffering. And now, Mike's mother has been fighting cancer and just before Mike's grandfather passed away, we got news that his mom was in bad shape, and was dying; that she wouldn't make it much longer. So, now just days before Christmas, she is suffering further and worst of all, is being kept in a state (sedated) in which she's not going to be able to communicate much with her family. WHY?!?!? How is this fair to her, or to her family? She is not curable. There is no turning back. She is going to die. Why continue to make her suffer?? Take her Home. I know how much it hurts to lose a loved one, and to let go, knowing you'll never see them again until the day you go Home. But, knowing that they are no longer in pain, no longer suffering -- it helps, just a little, to let go of that person.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas! Glad to hear that the fundraiser has been fun and successful. I'm so sorry to hear about Mike's mom. I've been praying for her and for you guys. HUGS...and it's ok to be mad at God sometimes...talk to Him about it. We don't always understand why things are allowed to happen....talk to Him...He does hear you.