Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Another thing on my mind

Besides the Vasilev children brutally murdered, I've had something else on my mind. Don't get me wrong - alot of my thoughts go back to those poor kids, and their father finding them in pools of their own blood. The 911 tape was released the other day. Luckily I haven't heard it, but I did read the transcript. That was enough for me. I don't think I could mentally handle hearing it.

But, now for the other thing that is weighing on my mind.

One of my coworkers - one of the drivers - was in a serious car accident on Friday afternoon. We're such a small company that we're all very close -- it's like a second family.

The accident is still a mystery to this day. The police aren't sure how or why it happened. His pickup truck went off the road, over a birm which caused the truck to go airborne, hitting branches on a tree 9 feet in the air. It then landed back on the ground, crossing another street (over a median), hitting more trees, and then finally ending against the side of a building of a business. At some point he was ejected from the truck - out the side driver side window.

Everyone is puzzled. But mostly, everyone is worried.

He has been unconcious since the accident. And he's on breathing machines. He did take his first breath on his own yesterday, and continued to breathe for 5 minutes before needing the machines again. They did also get a quick response - when the nurse was holding his hand, she said "Tell me if it hurts" and he squeezed her hand. But that's all they've gotten from him.

His life hangs on the line. Everyone at work is constantly thinking of him, wanting updates and you can tell - everyone is fighting a bit of depression. To be honest, we really miss him. Terribly.

His wife seems to be in the best spirits possible. I'm trying to think positively - but I also know that being on life support is very, very serious. And that maybe he won't ever start and continue to breathe on his own.

His injuries are extensive. He broke his back in 3 places, 20 ribs are cracked, both lungs punctured, and there's evidence of some brain damage. That's just the short list. Many bones are broken, tendons severed. Things are not good.

We're continuing to pray for him.

No comments: