Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Almost time

We've been waiting for months to get information regarding the new subdivision being built a town over from where we live now. Mike called the builders today and spoke with a woman there. They are sending out information this week on the pre-construction pricing. I can't wait!!

We are super excited about the possibility of building a brand new home. And my parents are beyond thrilled as well. Living together is really going to help everyone out - both me, Mike and our kids, as well as my parents.

It's about time they got out of their apartment. They have lived there since 1978 and it's just not what it used to be. When the moved in, their building was like the Hilton. It was the NICE place to live. Now, it's almost considered a slum. I mean - while it's not like they have leaking pipes or rats or anything like that - the people that live in other apartments don't care about the place and throw their garbage where ever, or blast their music at all hours of the night. And curtains? What are those? Just toss up a sheet or blanket - that'll work just fine. I've even seen them use shower curtains. My parents want OUT. And I don't blame them one bit.

So when we drove past the area being zoned for housing, I immediately started surfing the web, trying to find out which builder owned that land. We were thrilled to find out that it's a large subdivision with a big main park, and several sattelite parks, walking trails and even on ONSITE elementary school. We didn't even THINK of my parents at first. We were thinking of building on our own. Then we came across the floorplans for a much bigger home. I'm talking 5 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, a den, family, living, dining room, kitchen, separate laundry room -- a little over 3000 sq feet. Much too big a house for just the 4 of us. So I mentioned - jokingly - that we could move my parents in too. To my surprise, Mike said, "sure!". And it went from there.

When I told my parents about it, I could see just how excited they were about it. You see, my dad is retiring this year - June 30 to be exact. He can't wait. And my mom doesn't work outside the house. Her job is taking care of her grandbabies - my kids. They are both getting older - already in their mid-50's. While many people don't consider that old - it makes me nervous to think about losing my parents. And well, they may not be THAT old now, but they aren't getting younger. And it wouldn't make much sense for Mike and I to build a house suitable for our family of 4, if we need to take in one, or both, of my parents if the time comes that they need help.

So....we have been waiting patiently for January to roll around as the builder's website said they were slated for opening in January. And now it's time!

I can't wait. I have already starting dreaming about driving out to the site to check the progress of our home, and taking pictures.

Hopefully it'll all work out and we'll be in the process of having a house built this year!

No comments: