Monday, July 06, 2009

And we're officially in the 2nd half of '09

June is over, we've celebrated another 4th of July and the summer is whipping by faster than I'd like.

I know I have been quiet, and that I haven't been stopping by to comment on your blogs either. I apologize. For awhile I just didn't have much to say; my mood was sour and I just felt like I was in a rather dark place. Once things started to turn around, I just didn't know what to say.

Now we're in the heart of summer and we're busy playing outside, going on road trips, indulging in sprinkle coated ice cream cones and hanging out with neighbors for our weekly music in the park event.

The week I was off work was busy toting the boy child to birthday parties, throwing birthday parties for the girl child and other errands and activities. Even though the week was incredibly busy, I loved every minute of it. And that Monday I returned to work, I dreaded more than anything.

It was one time that I thought to myself that I could really stand to never work another day in my life. Thankfully I got through the work week, and we had quite a bit of family time for the 4th of July. I didn't dread work nearly as much today.

One thing is for sure, however, and that would be that the next week off can't come soon enough. We'll be heading to Connecticut next month, and are planning a day trip (possibly overnight) to New York City. I have no idea about the city, how to get around, where to stay, just how far apart the Statue of Liberty and Times Square are (can we walk?) and all that.

So if you've got any advice, I'd love to hear it. We'll be traveling WITH the kids, so obviously where to stay, what to see and how to get around depends greatly on them as well. The 2 musts we have are seeing Lady Liberty as well as Times Square. Any suggestions? Recommendations?

4 comments:

just_karyn said...

I love NYC! Times Square and The Statue of Liberty are definitely not within walking distance of one another, but both valuable to see. I found Ellis Island very moving, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. The Statue of Liberty is one of those things you want to see, but we didn't spend a ton of time there. I did love Chinatown and Greektown and Macy's...but that was before there was a Macy's in every mall and it was special to visit the NYC one. Central park is cool and we had dessert at Tavern on the Green which was pricey, but fun. Use the subways, they are great! Oooo, so many endless possibilities. Have fun!!!

Another thought...being from Chicago, where everyone is friendly (for the most part) you might find, as we did, that New Yorkers are not nearly as friendly, but make the most of it and enjoy!

Hubman said...

Regardless of what just__karyn said, some of us NYC-area natives can be pretty nice ;-)

Veronica and I grew up on Long Island and her brother lives in Manhattan. Let us know if we can help.

Jess said...

Never been to NYC, but want to someday! Hope you enjoy your vacation and time with family!

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

Don't get put in jail there... thats my only advice! :)

I can't believe how fast the summer is passing either. Not too much longer and it will be time to buy school supplies again! Ugh!